After the wreath and holiday decor on the front porch came down months ago, our door has been looking pretty bare. With so many other things going on lately, I just wasn’t feeling very inspired to make a new wreath and the others that were stored in the garage were looking faded and in need of some sprucing up, but again just wasn’t feeling very inspired. Then one day while searching through my bag of coupons, I saw an AC Moore rewards certificate that was about to expire and I suddenly began to feel some inspiration. So I headed over to the store in the nick of time, wandered the isles and came up with a plan to create a new wreath for Spring. We have a red door which can be a little challenging when choosing colors to use. I wanted it to be simple and cheerful and something I could keep up for several months so I went with a mix of greens, browns and burlap.
I used my rewards certificate to purchase the wreath form, two rolls of burlap, brown floral wire and roll of twigs. I’m not sure what it’s actually called because there was no tag other than the price, but it looks like twigs to me so I’m going with that, “roll of twigs”. I found the tulips at Michael’s for less than $3.00 per bunch and I already had the ribbon and nests. I think I have a bird nest collecting problem because I have a ton of nests around the house. I simply can’t resist them, they are just too pretty! If you are looking for a nest I just found a really cute one at Steinmart. I actually ended up layering the nests for the wreath. The top nest is one I found at Kirkland’s last year and I just clipped it on the larger one.
This wreath was really easy to put together, but the twig wrapping was a little, ok a lot, messy! I started by wrapping the form with burlap and securing with a little glue. I then attached the tulips, nest and twigs with the brown floral wire. I usually glue everything on, but decided it would be easier to change if I used the wire instead. Before I wrapped the twigs around the wreath I unrolled and cut the small wires that hold the roll together. I only wanted to use a few strands for a less uniform look. This was the messy part of the project, but it was worth the effort because it helped to hide the brown floral wire and added some nice interest to wreath.
I think cleaning up the twigs took longer than actually making the wreath, but it was worth the mess and time and now our front door is looking all pretty again!