Family Room Reveal

Back in December I gave a little peek of our family room in the  Merry Family Room Mini Tour and promised to give the full reveal soon. Well…….it has taken me a little longer than expected.

So you might be asking, what took so long?  The answer is, a few things.

First, I really struggle with how to make a room feel cozy, but not cluttered and pretty, but still practical. I am a bit of a neat freak, so I really don’t like clutter, my family would call that a major understatement!  Clutter happens enough on it’s own naturally in a home, especially when your kids, husband and dog, (yes, even the dog) don’t share your passion for keeping things around the house neat and organized.  So, for the past few months I was just feeling kind of stuck on how to find the right balance.

Next, the rug was a challenge to work with. In our last home I loved it. We had darker wood floors and it just looked better. With the lighter floors it now seems a little “busy”, not really sure how else to describe it. I would love to add a lighter color rug in a material like jute or sisal, but this wool rug is here to stay. It is nice and soft to sit and walk on and the most important reason is my daughter’s helped me pick it out a few years ago and I just can’t bear to part with it.  By adding some pops of red and green, along with the black and ivory I think it helped to make the rug work.

Finally, I try to work with what I already have as much as possible.  But, to complete the family room I felt that I needed to purchase a few extra accessories for those finishing touches and that took some time. I had a limited budget to finish up the decorating and I had specific items in mind. Well, shopping persistence and patience finally payed off and now I am finally calling this room DONE!

I would still like to change the blinds to bamboo shades, find just the right bookcase for the empty space next to the sofa and I have big plans for the fireplace,  but that will all happen in time.

So…..would you like to take a tour?

Thanks so much for stopping by today and sure hope you enjoyed the tour of our family room!

I was planning to include a source list here to include many of the items in the room. This post ended up being a little long with all the pictures, so stay tuned for all the details in my next post.

Linking up with:

From My Front Porch To YoursFrench Country CottageDebbiedoo's_EST_Power_of_Pinterest_Link_Party_ButtonHome Stories A2Z

I’ve been featured at:

Featured on SheKnows

Lauren

Comments

1. Melissa says:

Gorgeous!

2. Your space is so beautiful! I laughed at your paint swatches above the fireplace. I am in the process of trying to figure out new colors for our home. What color did you end up with for your living room? Right now I have SW Camelback in out kitchen and it is way to dark so I want to lighten the entire house up.

• Thanks so much Pamela! When we lived in TX the house we bought had Camelback in almost every room, I ended up using a lot of the colors on that chart throughout the house. The colors were warm and looked nice with all the wood in the home. When we moved I wanted to lighten things up so after a ton of samples I picked SW Ramie and love it. I used it in the family room, foyer and upstairs hallways. I am so happy with the color, nice and light and very neutral.

3. Lauren – it looks beautiful! Very charming and welcoming. I think that you did a great job making things loook comfortable and lived-in without looking cluttered. I’m so loving your curtains. I always always always sway toward black and white check – especially the buffalo check. I make myself NOT use it for everything, but it’s always a struggle. Now that I see your curtains, I really want them in my living room. Oh my. I need an intervention.

I love your room!

• Awww thanks Brenda : ) I know what you mean about the buffalo check, I love it too! I wanted these curtains for so long and finally went for it. I was worried it was a little too bold but I just love them and it gave the room a cozier feel. I did end up having to put my other black and cream smaller check pillow and lampshade away (for now, lol), it was just too much, but I could honestly put checks in every room, it’s hard to restrain myself!!!

4. I just love what you did. I liked it so much that I copied your checked idea and came up with a kitchen/dining room .

Thanks for sharing

5. Fabulous job! Love following your blog.

6. That looks so nice and cozy! You really made that traditional rug work without looking TOO traditional.

7. Lisa Pitchers says:

Absolutely love love your endearing home! I am a huge fan of black & white and neutrals too! You have really inspired me since I have only been in our home now about a year and a half and have been mulling over paint colors. I like the SW Ramie you’ve chosen. Thank you so much for sharing with everyone. I will be looking for some buffalo check curtains for my dining room now! :)

• Thank you so much Lisa for your very kind words. We have been in our home for a year and a half too! I have such a hard time picking paint colors but I do really like the Ramie. I sometimes feel like getting the house decorated is never ending but finally starting to feel like we are making progress and the house “to do” list is not so long. Have a great weekend!

8. I just found your blog today and will definitely be back for more. Your room is gorgeous!. I can say that because your style is my style. ;) I have a similar dilemma with a traditional wool rug my husband bought me a few years back. I love it so much and although it’s a challenge, I decorate around it because besides being beautiful and special I do love it. Did I already say that? You’ve done a terrific job of making it work without seeming cluttered. (one of my phobias as well) FEAR OF CLUTTER!!

• Thanks Nancy! I just checked out your blog and oh my goodness I LOVE your hutch makeover! That would look great in my house, lol! Love how you added the black and white to the back, looks beautiful!

9. Shannon says:

Love it!!! So cozy and warm feeling! I also love the buffalo check curtains…….might have to update my curtains real soon:) Was wondering if SW Ramie has a greige undertone to it……..i love the color and i am looking for a grayish/brown neutral, but i don’t want it too dark. Thanks!!

Shannon :)

• Hi Shannon, thanks so much! Oh I am so bad with paint colors but I would say the Ramie has more of a greenish than gray undertone. I always struggle with picking colors but this one is so neutral and looks good throughout the day in different light and really works with all the decor throughout the house. Hope that helps a little.

10. Oh my I am so totally drooling over your cloche!!! The room is so welcoming. I’m still working to get mine to feel that way….

11. Beautiful! That sofa would be turned toward the TV in this house though.

• Thanks LD : ) I know, sofa would be much better the other way but the room is narrow and this is the only way the room works and hubby did not want to hang tv over the fireplace.

12. Lauren,

Your room is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PRETTY!!! LOVE the buffalo check and your arrangement on the mantel is gorgeous!! You did a GREAT job!! :)

13. Lauren, its amazing….I am just trying to give my Family Room a fresh look, not done yet…you gave me some ideas…love your light pillows on the dark sofa…I have a brown leather sofa as well. Here is my little link to the project…I am a new Blogger still learning it all. Greetings from a new follower

• Thanks very much Christine : ) You will love blogging. I am still new and have so much to learn but it is a lot of fun!

14. Mary Ann says:

Hey there, love this room! I had the same window drape fabric in my last house and wish I brought them with me. Any chance you can tell me where the coffee table can be purchased? Love it.
    Thanks!
    Mary Ann

15. I love love did I say love your room, The colors the furniture just the mix of it all. Just GEORGOUS. I am happy to follow you.

16. Oh, my goodness! Your family room is gorgeous! I love everything about it and you have so much beautiful light shining in the windows. Your vignette on the coffee table is so pretty too.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

• Thank you Shelia! It had been so rainy and cloudy, but finally had some nice weather here in NC. Was happy to finally be able to get a few pics of the room for the post.

17. The room is lovely- cozy and not cluttered :)

18. Gorgeous room! I don’t think your rug looks too busy at all! Love what you’ve done! I’m a new follower. Come by for a visit!!

19. I absolutely love what you have done with this room!! Its amazing! Especially when you see the before and after pics!! I can see a lot of hard work you put into your home!

20. Love Love love it! Love the dark and light elements together…and the birdcage? Ugh. :)
    I really love the photo with all the paint swatches on the wall…:)
    Pinning from the pinterest party.
    Kelly

21. Anna Starner says:

I love buffalo checks so you had me when I saw them. I love that you refinished your old pieces to make it work here. You did a great job updating everything. Love your room.

22. Just found your blog, you have a beautiful home. Love the family room. Happy to be following you via email.

23. This is absolutely beautiful! Sophisticated yet warm and inviting. It’s time for a redo in my family room and I may just have to steal your wonderful style.

24. Gorgeous! Love the tour. fondly ~Lynne~

25. Paula L. Lusk says:

Your room looks gorgeous! I am a ‘red’ person, and I love the way you tied it all together with accessories. Thanks for sharing. Blessings Paula

26. Very nice! You did a fabulous job!

27. It’s beautiful! And I love the rug on that floor.

28. Debcz665 says:

Hi,
    The first thing I noticed was you actually have a TV in the family room! Not hidden away or above the fireplace (that hurts the neck) but where you would actually watch it. We’re thinking of a re-do and so many pictures show a home that doesn’t look family friendly. You found the perfect balance. Nice job!

29. Hi Lauren, this is my first visit to your blog. I found you over on Home Talk. Your room turned out beautifully. I really love it. We have a very similar layout on a little smaller scale, except where your windows are on either side of the fireplace, we have bookcases. Our rug is similar to yours, and I’ve been thinking of replacing it with something more modern (it has lots of reds too), but I love that you made yours work. Great job! Oh, and beautiful blog, too!

Debbie

30. You did a beautiful job! The room looks soooo cozy and family friendly! You need to put ‘decorator’ at the end of your name. The colors are awesome together- not overdone.

31. Beautiful! Be Proud.

32. Beautiful room. The rug does not look too busy to me either. And I appreciate being able to see your TV and the remote. That is a real room.

33. Lauren, your family room is beautiful! I love the way you used the black and white so generously along with the mercury glass. It looks fantastic together. I can’t wait to scout around in your house. :)

I was sent to your blog by Judy at Gracious Southern Living. We just got the Country Curtains in red/cream checks that are like yours. Love!

34. Wow, Lauren … it’s gorgeous! I love your color palette! The checked curtains are fabulous … love your arrangement … and, your vignettes are awesome!

35. Gorgeous! I am seriously in love with your curtains. Also, love all your pillows and how you styled your coffee table. Found you at Savvy Southern Style.

Have a great day!
    Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

36. You had me at your check drapes since I am a huge fan of MacKenzie Childs Courtly check. I agree with you on the rug, however the room just seems to work so well. I think you did a fabulous job.

37. Hi,
    I guess this is my first time to visit you thru my blogging round tonight.

Wow! this is really a huge reformation. What a cozy room, absolutely perfect for a cozy moments with your loveones.

Happy Mid-Week.

Greetings from Stockholm,
    /CC girl from D´Box

38. Wow!! your home is beautiful, very nicely put together.

39. After seeing your home, I’ve decided I want you to be my best friend! It is PERFECT! Tasteful, cozy, fun, interesting—everything an “endearing home” should be. LOVE it! So glad to have found your blog!

• Oh my gosh Erika, can I tell you happy your comment made me, you are so, so sweet! I would love to be your bestie! : ) So happy you found my blog too and now I found yours and following on Bloglovin. Have a wonderful weekend!

40. Very pretty and comfortable room. I get giddy when I see checks.

41. I love your style. Warm and inviting.

42. I like everything, I like the way you put everything together, where did you get that beautiful chair the one with the monogram pillow? Thank you..

43. I got it,,,,,,, thank you for the breakdown.. I am going to Homegoods tomorrow to see if i find that chair…

• Oh I hope you found the chair. Not sure if you have a Tuesday Morning near you but I recently found one just like mine there and it was the same price.

44. Your room looks bigger in the “after” pictures than the “before” pictures! That means you did a fabulous job with the colors/furniture placement! I’m always drawn to black and white AND buffalo check is my FAVORITE! Did you make your curtains? Can you share where you found the fabric? Love your style!

45. Love this beautiful room!!! The styling is gorgeous and your photos are lovely. SO tickled I got to look and see all you have done! Thanks for sharing at the POP party ;) You’re being featured today. Shannon

• Thanks very much Shannon, you are so sweet! I LOVE your blog and I was just so thrilled to be one those featured from last weeks POP party : )

46. Your room is just gorgeous. Just the right combination of cozy, but light feeling. I especially love the tray of pretty things on the coffee table, but it’s all just so lovely!

Jeanette @ Creating a Life

47. Beautiful home, and you have immaculate taste! Love it! I just subscribed to your blog :) Have a great night!

48. KNOCK ME OVER! This is gorgeous! You are SO my style sister! FANTASTIC transformation.

49. Wow! I mean, Wow! I love every aspect of your family room! That basket with “home sweet home” is precious! The candle sticks, the pillows, it all looks amazing! I just found your blog and love it!

50. Karen Debenham says:

Just found your website and have to let you know how terrific your family room redo is…love the curtains, furniture, accessories, et al. You have done a beautiful job and taught this old DIY home decorator a lot. Thanks, Lauren.

51. This room is so welcoming, nice place for a chat or movie night. I love the lamp on the table by the chair. Did you paint it? Can you give me any details? Thanks so much, Sharon.