For months I had been looking for a cabinet to add a little extra storage in the family room. It had to fit in a narrow space, so finding the right size was a little tricky. I had been looking on Craigslist for a while with no luck, until one morning I spotted a new listing. It was the perfect width and height and the price was right at $40.
The cabinet was in great condition, but the color of the wood was too light.
I had recently picked up a can of paint in a color that I thought would be perfect for this piece. I was so excited to get started on this project! That is until the first coat went on and I quickly realized the color was too close to the wall color and looked blah! I decided to add some wax to see if that would help darken up the color, but no luck. Then, the real disaster happened when I decided to add some dark wax before completely covering with clear wax. I had read lots of tutorials on waxing so I knew better, but out of my desperation to save this project, I did it anyway. Big mistake!
I could not believe how I took this perfectly good piece of wood furniture and ruined it. I wish I could blame it on the paint, but I can only blame the painter. The real failure on my part was not prepping the surface properly with a light sanding first. This was a heavily varnished piece, so the paint was not sticking well, it would just flake off.
My family was so sweet and did not say a word all day even though they could clearly see this was not going well.
After spending a few hours trying to fix my mistake, I decided, for my sanity, it would be best to just walk away and give it another try tomorrow.
In my second attempt I decided to use my “go to” paint for all of my painting disasters, and if you have been following along on my blog you know there are many! So far the Reclaim paint that I purchased on HSN has never let me down and fortunately that was true for this piece as well.
Remembering what the cabinet looked like the day before I really had my doubts if it could be fixed. But, after a few coats of paint, a little sanding and a coat of clear wax, I was breathing a sigh of relief that I had rescued this project.
I finished the piece off with a couple of cute knobs I found at Hobby Lobby and some shelf liner from Dollar Tree. I also painted the inside with a coat of La Craie paint called Sugar Cane. It does not show up well in this picture but it is a very pretty light blue color.
I did end up spending more on paint than the actual cabinet which kind of took the fun out of finding a bargain. But, I do now love this little cabinet and all of the extra storage. To make myself feel better I will just think of the extra money spent as my continuing painting education expenses. I am learning with every project, but just in case I will be sure to keep some of my “go to” paint on hand.