For the past few weeks I have been spending some quality time in my garage. This is where I started storing all of my home decor that I was no longer using. I was keeping it all in our guest room closet, but I am a bit embarrassed to say it no longer fit. I had so much stuff that it was now starting to take over the garage. The mountain of clutter was driving me crazy!
So, I started by putting everything into different piles. I needed to figure out what to donate, put on Craigslist, consign or keep. Then, there was also that ever growing stack of things that I have been collecting with plans to “fix up”. You know those clearance aisle, thrift shop and yard sale finds that you say to yourself, “with a little spray paint” or “I could turn this into…” Yeah, there was a lot of that in my garage.
Happily, those piles have been getting smaller and I am slowly getting my garage back. I may even to be able to park my car in there soon.
Here is one of the many things that was in the pile that finally got “fixed up” and just in time for a fall.
Here is the before.
I purchased this lantern at Kirkland’s last year on clearance. I loved it for it’s size and price, but was not crazy about the weathered wood. I had plans to paint it, but just never got around to it. That is until one day I got this crazy idea to try staining it. I was organizing some paint cans and said “hmmm, why not”? I didn’t sand or strip the wood or prep the surface in any way. I just grabbed a little craft size paint brush and started applying the stain.
I loved the way it looked, but after it was done I quickly got that “uh oh” feeling. Thinking will that smell ever go away or will it ever dry. If I had actually bothered to read the instructions on the can of stain this should not have worked, surfaces really need to be prepped for the stain to be applied properly. But, as a lazy diy’er who doesn’t like to take the time to read instructions, I get those “uh oh” feelings a lot and often end up with diy disasters or having to do things twice to get it right. I thought for sure this project was headed in that direction, so I just put it over in a corner of the garage to wait and see what happens. To my surprise, the smell did go away and it did dry and it even ended up with a nice glossy shine to it.
I was so relieved that I didn’t ruin the lantern and happy that I could now move onto part two of the project, the fun part, decorating!
I had picked up a few boxes of clearance ornaments last year at Target. I usually don’t do this, but I was actually thinking ahead for future projects and they were 75% off!
Decorating the lantern was super easy to pull together. First, I put in the ornaments. Then, I added a couple of mini faux pumpkins I found at AC Moore for a few dollars and topped it off with some ribbon and faux leaves. The burlap ribbon is from Hobby Lobby and the fall ribbon and leaves are from Dollar Tree.
Here is the lantern after a little makeover and all dressed up just in time up for fall.
Well, it’s time for me to get back to work clearing out the garage and get working on a few more “fix up” projects.