It feels so good to be back to blogging and working on projects around the house! Today I am sharing a plain lamp shade that got an easy makeover with some scrap fabric. I had planned to simply cover the lamp shade with the fabric using a spray adhesive, but as my luck would have it lately, that scrap piece of fabric was about 2 inches shy from covering the lamp shade completely, thanks to a piece that was cut out of a corner. This fabric was leftover from another project for my daughter’s room which we are in the process of updating. I really didn’t want to have to go out and buy another yard and I was determined to make this scrap piece work! After trying to pull, stretch and angle the fabric to fit around, I realized it just wasn’t going to happen. So then I got to thinking, what if I cut the fabric into strips . I figured I may as well give it a try. As I was cutting the strips I got a little nervous that I would end up running out of fabric to go all the way around, but I ended up having a bit of fabric to spare which was a big relief! The best part of this project is that the strips ended up creating the look of a pleated lamp shade.
This project did take a little longer to finish than the basket project I shared last week. There were several steps to each strip and this did take some time. I think it took around two hours to complete, but it was very easy to do.
I started by measuring the height of the lamp shade, this one is 10″. This helped me to figure out how long to cut each strip. I didn’t want the strips to be too long, just enough to fold over so that I could neatly attach to the lamp shade.
I then cut the fabric into strips using my rotary cutter and mat. The width will depend on how pleated you want the shade to look,these strips were cut 3″ wide. I then folded over each side and used my iron the press for a finished look. I eyeballed the folding over part so I am sure each strip varies in width a bit, but you can’t tell once you start attaching and layering the strips.
I used the seam on the lamp shade as my starting point for applying the strips of fabric.
Once all of the strips were cut and pressed I began gluing them onto the shade. I used a low temp glue gun because it was impossible to not touch the glue when pressing the fabric onto the lampshade. I did burn my fingertips quite a few times. I think fabric glue may also work, but it will take longer to dry and can also be messy.
I only glued at the top and bottom on the inside. Because the fabric is pulled fairly tight I did not feel there was a need to add any additional glue.
Here’s what it looks like on the inside. It’s not perfect, but you can’t tell from the outside.
I honestly didn’t know how this project would look once it was all finished. It wasn’t until I put the shade on the lamp and turned on the light that I could really see how pretty the faux pleats looked. I really love how this lamp turned out and my daughter does too, yay!
I’ll be back again next week with another project and I will also be filling you in on what that big pile of wood in our driveway was all about. Have a wonderful weekend!
Linking up with: